PILLS OF ADVICE FOR NEW WRITERS

May 25, 2017

Right, if you've stopped here, it means you are a writer. Congrats, I like you already, but also, I'm sorry, get ready for the most difficult years of your life. You've been warned. 
I'm a writer; I write stuff on the Internet, I write poetry in my journal and I write stories on my laptop (and occasionally on some very fancy-pansy notebooks with vintage hardcovers). I am in between stories I'm loving writing but I'm also fighting the oh-so-famous-yet-very-scary-writer's-block. If you are a writer, you'll have a lot of them and you will survive, don't you worry.

I know writing can be stressful. Hell, I'm already really bad at keeping up with my blog, how am I supposed to sit on my desk chair and write a whole book? Well, it does take time, my friends. And a lot of swearing and binge-eating, but hear me out, you can do it! All it takes is a bit of courage, an idea, snacks and these pills of advice I'm about to share with you all, just because I'm great. No, I'm kidding, I'm not great, I'm just as desperate as you are but shhh...

This is going to be the first post of a series. I have quite a lot to share when it comes to writing and motivation and I just can't bring myself into typing a list of things without talking them through.
So yes, you can expect more of these posts where I will be sharing my experience and some advice from a fellow writer!

These tips though, even if helped me, you don't need to follow if you don't want to, but let's keep in mind that if you want to be a better writer, these will definitely help you!


READ. A LOT.
This may sound stupid for some of you because if you are a writer, you are a reader. But some people start walking on this path thinking that reading is not important.
Well, it is.
Do you remember when in Elementary School, your math teacher told you how those simple equations were the basics you needed to solve more complicated ones? Well, take reading that same way. If you don't read, how are you supposed to write a book? How do you know what writing style works best for you? How do you know if you like the first person more than third? If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, it's time to visit your local bookstore or a library cause man, you're screwed. 
Reading is the first step into writing.
Read everything, from blog posts to crime to mystery, paranormal, YA, contemporary, hunt books like you're Katniss Everdeen. 


BRING A NOTEBOOK WITH YOU
Going to visit your grandma? Bring a notebook. Running to the bathroom? Bring a notebook. Grocery shopping? Notebook. The list goes on and on.
You don't need to buy those super expensive gold foiled hardback notebooks, but if you feel like those could inspire you to actually use them, do it.
You will never know when inspiration may strike and oh boy if you need to be prepared when that happens.


DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF/YOUR STORY
Guilty. When I started writing (and even now sometimes) I thought I was writing about stupid stuff nobody would have ever wanted to read.
If you like your story, don't think about a possible audience! First of all, write or you only. You can always go back and fix it once it's time. Do not ever be ashamed of what you are writing about: is it a cheesy love story between teenagers? Good, keep writing it. Is it about that time your boyfriend broke your heart? Congrats, you already have someone who would read that (aka me). Are you writing about how good chocolate cake taste? Do it.
My point is, do not ever think your stories are stupid: they're yours and it's just the beginning, you have time to write about something else, you're practising, everything is allowed!


HAVE FUN
Now, if you are writing, chances are you're doing it because you love it and not because someone's pointing a gun at your head. It is normal to feel a bit stressed because some days you won't know what to write and you will stare at that god damn blank page, asking for a miracle. That's the point where you should get up, get a drink or a snack (or a few snacks) and get outta there!
Leave the room, leave the house, even. Just take a step back from your laptop and breathe some fresh air. 
What you're doing is incredible and it takes courage and the fact that you're having a hard time figuring out where to go from there, don't ever forget why you started.
Having fun doing what you love is the key to getting things done and feeling good about yourself. Don't let fear of judgements, stress, writer's block take you away from your very first goal, which is, (you guessed it!) HAVE FUN!


That's it! These are today's pills of advice from your truly. 
I do really hope these could help you feel better about your writing and maybe make you feel less alone in your despair.
Let me know if you want me to continue this series because I'm really into it, I love sharing my knowledge with you all and I feel like being a writer is so much work and loneliness that it's good to know someone's out there, having my back!
In any case, leave me your comments and if you are a writer, share some of your tips in the comments below!


2 comments:

  1. This post is exactly what I needed to read this morning to get me motivated to write today. I sometimes get so caught up thinking about the audience that I just end up stressed out and worried that no one will ever want to read my work. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog, can't wait to read more of your posts! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siobhan, thank you so much for your kind words! Being a writer is hard, I know, we always have this constant fear of people not loving what we do or the things we write. I do have that fear too. But you know what? You do you and you write about whatever you want to write about and the fact that people may like your stories is just a bonus! Don't ever think about what the audience may or may not like, think about what you like, about the stories and the lives you want to tell and keep doing it. Keep writing, keep making art, keep following your passions and listen to your heart. Everything will work out just fine! Keep checking this space for more posts like this! I'm constantly working on them and I hope you'll like them as much!

      Delete